California—
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has placed 330 truckloads of food bound for California food banks on hold, impacting crucial supplies for families in need, according to the California Association of Food Banks.
Among the affected shipments are approximately 176,000 pounds of food designated for Ventura County’s Food Share, a regional food bank based in Oxnard. Monica White, Food Share’s president and CEO, confirmed the pause in deliveries, stating, “They have not canceled it, but it’s been put on hold.”
The federal government suspended deliveries of seven truckloads of eggs, dairy, and meat last week alone. These shipments included essentials such as milk, pork chops, cheese, eggs, and chicken—items White described as “absolute necessities” for struggling families.
State officials are still assessing the impact of the USDA’s decision and whether California can compensate for the lost federal aid. H.D. Palmer, a spokesperson for the California Department of Finance, told CalMatters that it is too early to determine if the state has the funds to make up for the cuts.
Vibriance
Ad
We Tested 17 Anti-Aging Creams – Only 1 Delivered Jaw-Dropping Results
Experts Say This Drugstore Beauty Cream Is Actually Worth ItLearn More
The California Association of Food Banks is urging lawmakers to maintain state food assistance funding, but competition for resources is fierce. With potential federal cuts looming across various programs—including higher education, rural infrastructure, refugee resettlement, and Medicaid—state legislators face tough choices.
“These are Sophie’s choices,” said Assemblymember Gregg Hart (D-Santa Barbara), who chairs a budget subcommittee reviewing federal funding shortfalls. “Every single thing that we could talk about has a federal funding connection that’s in jeopardy, and the state just doesn’t have the money to backfill it.”
Since 2022, California food banks have received over $80 million in federal aid, with some grants extending through mid-2026. An additional $47 million was expected in the next funding round, but that allocation was cut on March 7, according to Jason Montiel, spokesperson for the state Department of Social Services.
Food Share receives approximately 25% of its food supply—around 5 million pounds—directly from the USDA. Additionally, 10% of its budget, roughly $838,000, comes from the federal agency. White estimated that replacing the halted shipments would cost approximately $350,000.
The USDA has defended the cuts, arguing that previous food aid programs created by the Biden Administration relied on “unsustainable programming and expectations” through the federal Commodity Credit Corporation.
Aside from the halted shipments, the federal government has also suspended an emergency food and shelter program, which typically provides Food Share with either $50,000 or a truckload of food each year.
The situation is still evolving, and food bank officials are monitoring developments while exploring alternative funding sources. “We may need to juggle,” White said. “But we will be here for anybody who needs food.”